KatieGrace

November 2016 Challenge

30 posts in this topic

I love layouts that are black and white with just a pop of color. They always seem to catch my eye in galleries and I can't resist a kit with black and white patterned papers. On this layout I challenged myself to put the text on a curve that mimicked the curve of the paper. I referred to Amanda Taylor's classes "The Power of the Pen Tool" and "The Art of Journaling" to help me make a type path. It's not perfect but I"m okay with it. I still need a little practice. 

gallery_92_44_210306.jpg

So here's the challenge

1. Create a layout that is mostly black and white
  2. Use at least 3 patterns
  3. Add a pop of color but not more than 3 (remember it's mostly black and white)
  4. Optional: curve your text or put it inside or around a shape. 

Post your layouts in the challenge gallery and link it to this forum topic by November 30, 2016

And now for the prizes (all prize winners chosen randomly):

1. (1) $30.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  2. (1) $20.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  3. (1) $10.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice

You can only win one prize in the challenge each month. Instructions on how to post a layout in the gallery and how to link it to this thread are pinned to the top of the category.

I hope you'll join the challenge and good luck!

blackkathy likes this

FUN! I used pops of gold & did my journaling on a curved path! 

gallery_2392_44_62859.jpg

Wow, gorgeous Amie! Thanks for the inspiration!

med_gallery_1060_44_997187.jpg

Black and yellow

I have very few kits that are mostly black and white. This one is a favorite, I've used it a few times. Not sure if it is available anymore as it is pretty old. Credits are in the gallery post.

staciahall likes this

Great layouts Yobeth and Christine. I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's take on the challenge and the way the different colors work against a mostly black and white layout. I left you some comments in the gallery. Thanks for joining the challenge Christine.

Love your layouts, Yobeth, Amie and Christine!

I decided to do two layouts. Can't seem to get away from Black/White and yellow:

gallery_2062_44_593343.jpg

gallery_2062_44_381325.jpg

Your pages are so inspiring ladies! I am always looking forward to see your pages here.

Here is my take on the challenge.

gallery_2198_44_258842.jpg

WOW!! Gorgeousness overload!! Ladies, these are just stunning! You all have set the bar way too high...gotta get going on mine.

This was a bit of a challenge for me as I typically don't do monochromatic layouts but I have to say that I love the end result! B&W is always so striking to me!  :)

gallery_1950_44_169203.jpg

This was a bit of a challenge for me as I typically don't do monochromatic layouts but I have to say that I love the end result! B&W is always so striking to me!  :)

gallery_1950_44_169203.jpg

You ROCKED it.

gallery_386_44_57007.jpg

My effort for this time.  I know I got carried away with the color. But I did manage the pen tool better than usual so it was a win for me!!

gallery_386_44_57007.jpg

My effort for this time.  I know I got carried away with the color. But I did manage the pen tool better than usual so it was a win for me!!

Great page and I agree that your pen tool work looks wonderful. Mine is still a little wobbly but I should practice with it more. I left you some comments in the gallery. Thanks for joining the challenge.

gallery_29_44_148571.jpg

My take on the challenge.    I cheated a little, but using 3 textures and not patterns.    This layout was super simple.    I grabbed the photo mask and the other elements from the October Champions.   

I'm very late with my page.  It was a challenge as I don't have a lot of black and white kits.  Had to go into my archives from 2011.  LOL.  Here's my page.

Us_zps6nnw7ea4.jpg

cfile and KatieGrace like this

I'm very late with my page.  It was a challenge as I don't have a lot of black and white kits.  Had to go into my archives from 2011.  LOL.  Here's my page.

Us_zps6nnw7ea4.jpg

This is gorgeous Renee!

Random.org has chosen the following winners for the November Challenge:

1. (1) $30.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice - Minorscraps

2. (1) $20.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice - judymac

3. (1) $10.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice - Suzanner

Congratulations to all our winners! Please contact student support to collect your prize.