Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kellykeepsakes

Introducing Digi (Kids/Friends)

7 posts in this topic

Hey All (it's been a while)!!!!!

I just finished my home studio (craft room) and my kids are super interested in everything I do in there.  I am fine with teaching them how to bible journal, use stamps and water colors, etc. BUT how do I teach them to digi scrap?  I don't really want them working on my computer without me yet.  For now they literally just watch me work in PS.  They love their printed albums, but I want to allow them to digi scrap also.  I am thinking that the project life app may be better to ease them into it.

On the other hand I attend crops and the ladies there all do traditional scrapbooking (YES I am the only digi scrapper).  One is very interested in digi scrap, but she is intimidated by PS and all the prices that come along with the software, laptop, kits, printing, etc.  I think of savings and organization when I think of digi!!!!!  I have a few friends coming over tomorrow to play around with stuff. I think if I actually let them play in PS they may get more comfortable.

How are you introducing digital scrapbooking to your family and friends?

Hi Kelly, it has been quite a while. Welcome back. If I recall correctly, your kids are still pretty young. My grandkids pick up anything related to technology and computers amazingly fast. I suspect that is true of your kids too. If they like to watch you scrap, it seems that they will pick up quite a bit of it just from that but maybe you could tell them what you are doing while you are doing it. Not everything of course, but just things that are really basic. I would imagine that working with templates would be pretty basic.

Most of my family is perfectly content to have me make pages for them and have no interest in doing it themselves. :) One of my son-in-laws asked questions about digital scrapping and seemed quite interested in trying it so I got him PSE for Christmas one year. I told him I would show him how to use it, but that never happened. I suspect it is gathering dust somewhere. I think that if your friend is really interested and invests in PSE she will be hooked especially if she has you to show her how. She could probably gather enough free supplies to at least get started. We all start small and then increase our stash as we go along. Then we get rid of those free things that no longer suit our needs. Have fun with your "class" tomorrow. 

Thanks Katherine.  I started with PSE also and I really liked it.  It wasn't as much to grasp initially as PS, but the new monthly cost of PS is less than purchasing PSE if they don't stick with it.  I wonder if PSE has a monthly cost as well.  I will look into that option for my scrapbuddy!

My kids are 6,5, and 4 so yes they are quite young, but are really good at picking up technology.  I may get access to PS on their desktop and let them play with it that way.  I believe you can have the $9.99 monthly PS on more than one computer in a home.  I will look into this also.

I recently found picmonkey and I think it is a really fun tool to edit photos.  I can introduce them to that as well.

Thank you again for the suggestions.

Photoshop also has an iPad version, although you can only do about 5 layers on it, only good enough to get your photos into a layout. I think your idea about project life is good for the kids to start on. 

On 1/26/2017 at 2:30 PM, kellykeepsakes said:

Hey All (it's been a while)!!!!!

I just finished my home studio (craft room) and my kids are super interested in everything I do in there.  I am fine with teaching them how to bible journal, use stamps and water colors, etc. BUT how do I teach them to digi scrap?  I don't really want them working on my computer without me yet.  For now they literally just watch me work in PS.  They love their printed albums, but I want to allow them to digi scrap also.  I am thinking that the project life app may be better to ease them into it.

On the other hand I attend crops and the ladies there all do traditional scrapbooking (YES I am the only digi scrapper).  One is very interested in digi scrap, but she is intimidated by PS and all the prices that come along with the software, laptop, kits, printing, etc.  I think of savings and organization when I think of digi!!!!!  I have a few friends coming over tomorrow to play around with stuff. I think if I actually let them play in PS they may get more comfortable.

How are you introducing digital scrapbooking to your family and friends?

Jumping in pretty late, but you could also look into a cheaper scrapbooking software out there, or even try a free program like GIMP. I know there's a few scrappers around that use that, and GIMP is similar to PS so if they really caught on they possibly might not have a big learning curve to get into PS. 

You can always give them their own account on your computer, making sure they don't have admin access (installing, removing, etc).  Both of my kiddos have their own account, they get to decorate their desktop and play around in Photoshop on their program.  Once they sign off, I sign on and I am not bothered by whatever they did because it's on their account.  

If you think Photoshop is too difficult for them, try with a different program like Paint Shop Pro.  I learned on that many years ago and it was very user friendly.  Just a suggestion!

Kiana F likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0