Tiffany Tillman-Emanuel

Don't get stuck chasing shiny objects!

21 posts in this topic

Hi fellow Project Scrappers.

Just dropping by to talk about something we ALL tend to do when we're starting a new project. We chase shiny objects!

What are shiny objects? Things that bling, or catch our attention, and don't help us focus on our final goal. In this case, it's a finished project!

Why should you think about, or be aware of, your shiny objects? Because when you're aware of those shiny objects, you can be more mindful when you sit down to scrapbook and try hard to avoid them! And avoiding them will hopefully allow you to get closer to your projects' finish line.

Some of my most common shiny objects related to scrapbooking are:

1. Reorganizing everything on my computer -- photos, downloads, etc. My thinking is that it will be easier for me to find things (later) if I reorganize all of it now. The problem with chasing this kind of shiny object is: you're not starting on your project. Trust me, all of your computer files and folders will still be there after you finish your project. So, instead of feeling like you have to clean up your digital space before you begin, simply create one folder and add all of your products that you want to use plus pictures for the one project. Leave the rest alone. That way, you can get started instead of chasing organization nirvana. 

2. Retagging or tagging everything. My thinking is that I'll be able to search for things quicker that I'll need if I tag everything I haven't yet tagged to start. But, similar to the issue above: you're still not starting your project! You're doing something helpful, yes. But it's busy work. So, instead of feeling like you have to properly label everything, don't! Leave it for a later date when you're not in a Project Completion mode, which is what we are indeed in and committed to for the next 6 weeks! After you finish your project, then commit to reorganizing, retagging, and/or setting up a better organization system. Do it during your downtime.

3. Re-editing photos or endless editing. My thinking is that I want my pictures to look perfect on every page. The reality is, you can tweak those photos to death but there's no need. Our focus is getting the projects done! Speed. And when you increase the speed of your production, you have to accept that a portion of your creativity will decrease. And that's okay! It's completely okay to sacrifice some processes (like superior photo edits) to get the memory recorded and into your album. So, instead of editing each photo with tons of actions or filters to get just the right effect, do this:
    • Correct the white balance.
    • Decide if it should be color or black and white.
      • If color, add a boost to saturation if it needs it and get back to your page.
      • If black and white, transform it into black and white, add contrast if it needs and get back to your page.

Those are the top 3 shiny objects that I chase and, eventually, slow me down when I jump into an album. A few honorable mentions include:

• Getting stuck on social media -- turn it off if it's a distraction. Or build a page for 15 - 45 minutes and reward yourself with a peek at social media after. 
  • Deep diving into my stash or looking for new products on product sites -- would LOVE to hear how you manage this shiny object.
  • Not knowing what to write for my journaling and not moving forward with the design -- leave space for the journaling and come back later.

So, what shiny objects do you chase?

ggordon and Christa File like this

Besides all of the above, I get lost searching my stash for the perfect element, the perfect paper, the perfect font, the perfect whatever and a page goes on and on and on and on.   I am working on collecting a finite number of things and sticking to it and also setting an informal time gola for completeing a page or saying enough already.   Of course if I went and tagged everything better..... (JK...I have a mac and it's seach function is pretty great - too great).

oh - and i have a technical slowdown maybe someone can help me with.   I have a Mac air so cannot keep many photos or my scrap stash on the hard drive.  I have a couple hard drives I had hard wired into USB ports but they are full and also one port died on me and I don't want to pay to replace it (boo crazy Mac price to fix).   Sooooo. I now put my stash and photos on my wifi networked TimeMachine but it is sooooooo slow.   It can take a long time to open a kit so search or trolling trough makes me kind of crazy.  My internet is superfast - but what controls the speed of internal house wifi and how can I make it faster?  

Or I distract myself with IT issues. HAs anyone used Amazon Prime photo to back up or store their stash?  It is unlimited and free with prime.   I would love to synch but I think I have to have it on a computer not an external drive - just wondering what anyone else may have done.  I otherwise pay Mozy about 300 a year for back up of photos only. 

Hhhmm, never really thought of 'shiny objects' that drag my creative process down. Social media is a big one - I'll just have to scrap without Facebook running in the background! ;)  I think my bigger ones (like squirrels running around) are my own mind games that I play with myself, like, oh, there's laundry to do, so I'll do a page while the laundry runs and then get up when it goes into the dryer ... and ergo, interruptus creativeness ... and when I sit back down, I feel like I'm starting all over again! LOL 

Shiny object : Snacks and drinks!  Gotta have them right beside me, or at least in the same room, otherwise going on "the hunt" can be really distracting!

ggordon likes this

@sssnoo Have you considered Flickr as another/different photo backup option? I think everyone gets 1 TB of free photo storage. As for backups, I do the Flickr upload for photos and I do CrashPlan for photos and digi supplies.

As for my own "squirrels", social media, looking for a kit in a digi-store and getting sucked into the forum there, looking for the elusive xxxx kit that I just know I have somewhere on my computer if I could only find it... 

I definitely get distracted organizing!

I'm with @Kat Hansen . . . I distract myself with household duties/responsibilities. I have overcome this by scrapping for X number of minutes and then completing a household task or working for X number of minutes on household/other tasks. That way, I am scrapping, but I'm also taking care of my homemaker to-do list. LOL

ggordon and Christa File like this

6 hours ago, sssnoo said:

Besides all of the above, I get lost searching my stash for the perfect element, the perfect paper, the perfect font, the perfect whatever and a page goes on and on and on and on.   I am working on collecting a finite number of things and sticking to it and also setting an informal time gola for completeing a page or saying enough already.   Of course if I went and tagged everything better..... (JK...I have a mac and it's seach function is pretty great - too great).

oh - and i have a technical slowdown maybe someone can help me with.   I have a Mac air so cannot keep many photos or my scrap stash on the hard drive.  I have a couple hard drives I had hard wired into USB ports but they are full and also one port died on me and I don't want to pay to replace it (boo crazy Mac price to fix).   Sooooo. I now put my stash and photos on my wifi networked TimeMachine but it is sooooooo slow.   It can take a long time to open a kit so search or trolling trough makes me kind of crazy.  My internet is superfast - but what controls the speed of internal house wifi and how can I make it faster?  

Or I distract myself with IT issues. HAs anyone used Amazon Prime photo to back up or store their stash?  It is unlimited and free with prime.   I would love to synch but I think I have to have it on a computer not an external drive - just wondering what anyone else may have done.  I otherwise pay Mozy about 300 a year for back up of photos only. 

I use Amazon photos, flickr and dropbox

I have been known to get lost in gallery surfing. So I limit myself to maximum 1 hour on Saturday morning. I use google photos to backup on line in addition to an external hard drive. Facebook is my daily distraction.

Tiffany, Kat, and gonewiththewind, I can relate to all of your shiny object distractions although my husband probably wishes I would get distracted by housework a little more often. :D. I have to admit I sometimes get distracted by games. I also get bogged down looking at my layouts and wondering what others would think of them and adjusting them to what I think is appealing to the masses instead of sticking with what I like. 

Shiny objects - what a great description. Mine are different for different projects. They can be anything that will delay me from getting started on a project in the first place or if I have started, font or embellishment searches can get me stuck. I almost got sucked into a digital scrap store search yesterday but luckily found something I loved right away - that almost never happens and could have meant lots of wasted hours.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:06 AM, sssnoo said:

I stick my layouts on Amazon Prime. Because then I can set them as the screensaver on my Firestick, and the whole family enjoys them. I don't like the organization enough to use it for my stash or anything like that. I have Backblaze for that. It backs up my whole computer, for cheap. I also stick just layouts on Flickr - cuz it's free!

My shiny object is Scrapbook Forums, and my own head. I need to make myself get up after each page, and move for a minute or two. Otherwise, I find my mind drifting during the next page.

Well, I am the queen of organizing. It has stolen many hours of creative time. I hate to think of all of the things I could have created in that time. You would think that the files and folders on my computer would be absolutely perfect, but there is always something else to organize. That is my shiny object.:wacko:

On 1/30/2017 at 8:06 AM, sssnoo said:

@sssnoo Have you tried putting your digi stash into Lightroom? That helps me see everything and choose what goes onto a page really quickly. I make a collection for each page, add my photos and stash to the collection I want to use. When I'm ready to create that page, I select everything in the collection, tell Lightroom to open in Photoshop as layers, and Im good to go! Of course, your external will need to be connected or you will get an error. 

As far as slow wi-fi, the most likely reason is that there are a lot of other networks using the same fequency and traffic is jammed. Does your Mac have an Ethernet port? You can plug it into the network and bypass wifi. 

Shiny Objects: besides organizing my photos and updating things that need to be updated, I get sucked into playing games on my iPad. 

My shiny object can be anything but mostly it's reading various things I see when I'm reading an email and spot something else...lots of rabbit holes. I do know when I really want to get something done, I can have the discipline. I'm fine with getting drinks etc because that forces me to walk down one flight and up one flight of stairs every glass or cup. Plus it adds bathroom breaks - more walking. LOL

@sssnoo The internet def DOES slow down when there are lots of goodies seeking it. It's only me and my dh but between us we have 7 devices looking for the web Plus our Apple tv. I try to remember to turn my iPad off at least when I'm not using it.

I'm with the other gals & the housework thing- funny thing is- scrapping is my "shiny Object" (or squirrel as we call it in our house) FROM doing housework! ;) It's all about balance I think. I make sure most of my chores are done before I sit down to scrap- but of course the laundry is an all day thing, as well as meal prep etc. 

For the interwebs, lately, I've closed FB & made myself 'unavailable' so I'm not drawn in by notifications! That helps for sure! I was able to bust out 4(!!!) of my dyd layouts in just under an hour today! 

1 hour ago, Amie Wheeler said:

I'm with the other gals & the housework thing- funny thing is- scrapping is my "shiny Object" (or squirrel as we call it in our house) FROM doing housework! ;) It's all about balance I think. I make sure most of my chores are done before I sit down to scrap- but of course the laundry is an all day thing, as well as meal prep etc. 

For the interwebs, lately, I've closed FB & made myself 'unavailable' so I'm not drawn in by notifications! That helps for sure! I was able to bust out 4(!!!) of my dyd layouts in just under an hour today! 

That's impressive Amie!

Amie Wheeler likes this

I am trying to finish my December Daily album. My avoidance object, rather than shiny object, is the fact that there are a few videos from December that I need to edit and put on youtube so I can get qr codes. It is making me not finish those pages. :P Part of it is that I have to get on a different computer and use a program that I am not used to. Part of it is that it sounds like so much work! lol! So, I would say I don't have shiny objects, I mostly have things that stop me from working on something. Mostly, my own thoughts. hahahaha!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, gonewiththewind said:

I definitely get distracted organizing!

I'm with @Kat Hansen . . . I distract myself with household duties/responsibilities. I have overcome this by scrapping for X number of minutes and then completing a household task or working for X number of minutes on household/other tasks. That way, I am scrapping, but I'm also taking care of my homemaker to-do list. LOL

Cheryl! So nice to see you here!!

gonewiththewind likes this

On 2/13/2017 at 0:25 PM, Kat Hansen said:

Cheryl! So nice to see you here!!

Sorry it's been so long since I've visited! So good to see your face as well!