Katherine Engelhardt

April 2017 Challenge

31 posts in this topic

Did anyone watch the Academy Awards? I didn't but hearing all the news stories about it did lead me to an idea for a challenge this month...movie posters. I challenged myself to make a layout that was inspired by a movie poster. First I found a site that sells posters and then I searched for one that I thought would make a good layout. Seeing as though we are already experiencing "April Showers" here in the Midwest, the "Singing in the Rain" poster caught my eye and I had just the photos to work with it. Here is my inspiration poster:

April poster challenge.jpg

And here is my layout:

April 2017 challenge 700.jpg

So here is the challenge - make a layout inspired by a movie poster. Your inspiration could be the color scheme, the genre, or the overall design. You can find lots of move poster sites on line. Here is where I found mine at Movie Posters at AllPosters. They have posters listed by genre, title, actor or actress, and director. Upload your layout into the Challenge Gallery and post a link to it here in this thread by April 30th. You can find directions for uploading layouts to the gallery here and how to link the layout to this post here. It would be great if you could post the poster that inspired your layout in this thread also, but if you can't please tell us what movie poster you used. 

And now for the prizes (all prize winners chosen randomly):

• (1) $30.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  • (1) $20.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  • (1) $10.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice

You can only win one prize in the challenge each month.

I hope you'll join the challenge and good luck! 

Christa File and minna72 like this

3 hours ago, Sue Barnes said:

Wow, I love these!  I think this will be a hard challenge for me...I hope I can do as nice a job as you all have done!

It's really fun Sue. I'm sure something will inspire you once you look at the posters. Remember, it can be just the colors or mood or genre that inspires you. 

Christa File likes this

Oooh and I'm busy doing Tiffany's blending tutorials.  Can't wait to finish so that I can submit my page.

Christa File likes this

Wonderful! I really like what you did here with the black and white high contrast image and the red lettering. Thanks for joining the challenge.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, suzanner said:

Here's what I chose . . .

breakfast-at-tiffany-s.jpg

And here's mine . . .

large.051913_OrchestraBanquet_w.jpg.e78a

Great job on this. I can see how the poster influenced your page. Thanks for joining the challenge!

Stacia Hall likes this

On 4/10/2017 at 5:52 AM, Sue Barnes said:

Here is mine...poster posted with page in the challenge gallery...based on an Inside Out movie poster from Disney-Pixar.

April2017ChallengeV2Web.jpg

Thanks for inspiring us with this clever take on the inside out poster. Well done!

This was a tough one for me! Not my favorite style- but still ended up liking my layout! ;)

My Poster:

Trolls-Rainbow-Poster.jpg

My Layout:

large.58facb0710126_trollsct.jpg.082b1b9

On 4/21/2017 at 10:17 PM, Amie Wheeler said:

This was a tough one for me! Not my favorite style- but still ended up liking my layout! ;)

My Poster:

Trolls-Rainbow-Poster.jpg

My Layout:

large.58facb0710126_trollsct.jpg.082b1b9

I love the way you included the poster in your layout. Thanks for the inspiration!

judymac and Amie Wheeler like this

Coming in under the wire here! Phew what a month! Here's my entry and in case it's not clear here's the little schpeel I wrote with it in the gallery! :P

I modeled this one after my favorite TV series - Switched at Birth. The show is about two teenage girls who discover they've been switched at birth in the hospital. They're totally different from each other - one rich, the other underprivileged, one deaf, the other hearing, etc but they (and their families) learn to adapt to their differences and grow to love and appreciate each other for who they are and the experiences that made them that way. 

I decided to make my page about  my daughters and how different they are. They're 100% biological siblings, same mom, same dad but boy are they ever different! Not just looks alone but their personalities too. My oldest is bold, outgoing, a brainiac know it all, loves math and science and loves to cook, never wants to be alone, sleeps the bare minimum and is a vegetarian by choice. My youngest is quiet, reserved and loves nothing more than to spend the day at home, away from people. She loves to write and is a wonderful artist who is a self proclaimed "MEAT EATER!" (and she really is!) who often asks if it's bed time yet and whines when it's time to wake up. 

My girls are different as night and day and each one of them keeps me on my toes for different reasons! BUT despite their differences, they're still the best of friends. I personally think that being the military family that we are encourages, and pretty much requires, that they be best of friends since we're so often leaving out other friends behind. I hope they always nurture their relationship, appreciating and encouraging differences and enjoying their few similarities together too! 

0j43l7Ql.png

http://forum.scrapaneers.com/gallery/image/3803-april-2017-challengejpg/v0MGWvg.jpg

17 hours ago, judymac said:

My as usual late entry!!  This was an interesting challenge, thank you!!

1704_AprilChallenge.jpg

monroe1.jpeg

I can totally see the inspiration from your poster in your layout. Great job and thanks for joining the challenge!