Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katherine Engelhardt

Upgrading my phone

14 posts in this topic

After watching the Art of the Apps 2 with Kelly Sill, I found that most of the good apps only work with iphones. I would love to use the scrapbooking apps that Kelly taught. I also want a better camera on my phone. Mine is almost useless. I have an Android and not a very good one. It was a cheap one that uses Nokia cards and not a service like AT&T. So I am wondering what service provider in the best and least expensive. Any thoughts? Also, if you have an iphone, do you love it?

Share this post


Link to post

I've had the urge to switch to Iphone from android- but I would lose all the apps I've paid for! I've just recently dove into the app scrapping thing & there are some really good work-arounds for android. I have done some research & so far I've been happy with Pixellab & Phonto as well as Piclab studio (and of course the project life app!) I need to figure out how I will store my kits tho- as I have them all on my ehd- which my phone does not have access to remotely. :( When I was on a trip last week- I figured out ahead of time what kits/cards to use & put them in my dropbox. I also don't keep all my photos on my phone- but they can be easily accessed with Google Photos. Hope that helps- don't feel like you HAVE to switch to Iphone- but if you're upgrading already... ;);) 

Share this post


Link to post

I hae an iPhone 5 I think it is.. I am not an app person so I don't do any photo fixing on my phone.. I do it all in PS. Sorry I am not much help. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't like iphones so I have an Android Samsung S7.  My parents just purchased the S8 so my phone is already outdated lol.  BUT I love my S7.  Please look at videos on YT about the camera capabilities on the S7 and S8 they have been highly compared to many quality hand held cameras.  I have a Cannon Rebel and I love it but I mostly use my cell phone for pictures due to the convenience of my phone: ease of uploading photos to social media, filter apps, video making apps, and sharing photos through email/groupme/text.  I also love that many Android camera apps are FREE!  I don't have my phone with me right now but if you would like to know what apps I use let me know and I will list them in a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, kellykeepsakes said:

I don't like iphones so I have an Android Samsung S7.  My parents just purchased the S8 so my phone is already outdated lol.  BUT I love my S7.  Please look at videos on YT about the camera capabilities on the S7 and S8 they have been highly compared to many quality hand held cameras.  I have a Cannon Rebel and I love it but I mostly use my cell phone for pictures due to the convenience of my phone: ease of uploading photos to social media, filter apps, video making apps, and sharing photos through email/groupme/text.  I also love that many Android camera apps are FREE!  I don't have my phone with me right now but if you would like to know what apps I use let me know and I will list them in a reply.

Just wondering why you don't like iphones. I don't have loyalty to either and I'm just wondering which way to go. I would be interested in what apps you have found that you really like. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have an iPhone.  I took the first Art of the Apps class, and was completely surprised at how much I can do with my phone.  It inspired me to scrapbook the story of my library.  I'm a high school library media specialist, and this year I have scrapped a page with my phone over what happened in the library for nearly every week.  I post these to social media for students and parents.  I don't have much of a following for them, but I love knowing that I'll have a great record of the year beyond the usual statistics.  It also gives me a great excuse to scrapbook at work.  ;-)  LetterGlow is AMAZING, and I have started dabbling a little in design because let's face it, NO ONE designs white, black, gray, and red elks.  https://www.facebook.com/ElkLibrary/

Share this post


Link to post

I keep getting "reminders" (ha!) from AT&T that I can upgrade my phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 or S6, I can't remember which one), but since the one I have is 100% paid off, I'm not in the market for anything new at the moment.  Strangely, I don't know if I could really get into the app scrapping - although it certainly would be faster than the several hours I spend on the computer! LOL

Kathy, did you make a decision yet?

Kiana F likes this

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Katherine Engelhardt said:

Just wondering why you don't like iphones. I don't have loyalty to either and I'm just wondering which way to go. I would be interested in what apps you have found that you really like. 

I don't like them because of brand loyalty to Samsung (we have a TON of items in that brand) but for function I am use to the interface of an android.  The first turn off honestly were the apps.  Everyone I knew had to pay for many of their apps.

LOL again I don't have my phone with me.  I leave it when I am at work.  SO I will try to respond when I get home with the apps.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2017 at 7:35 AM, Kat Hansen said:

I keep getting "reminders" (ha!) from AT&T that I can upgrade my phone (I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 or S6, I can't remember which one), but since the one I have is 100% paid off, I'm not in the market for anything new at the moment.  Strangely, I don't know if I could really get into the app scrapping - although it certainly would be faster than the several hours I spend on the computer! LOL

Kathy, did you make a decision yet?

Yes, I splurged and got and iphone 7plus and I have to say, I love it. It may be just in comparison to my old phone which was really basic, but this phone does everything and it does it quickly. It takes really great pictures which are better than my camera can do in low light and indoor motion. I thought that part of the problem with my old phone was the fact that I used tracfone. My husband convinced me to get an unlocked phone and use tracfone again because of the way I use my phone and the fact that my account had a lot of unused minutes, texts, and data on it. It seems that it was the phone all along since I am having no problems with it now. I will still use Photoshop for most of my layouts but it is great to quickly build a page in the project life app that is a companion to my photoshop page. I have so many photos of my grandkids that I can't fit on a layout that it is nice to be able to include more of those photos in the grid style of project life. I also like the apps Retouch, Letterglow, This, and Supermatic for editing the photos before I place them. I have added 13 pages to the yearly album this way and I'm pretty up to date with it. It will nice to not be stressed out getting these books done in December as Christmas gifts. 

Kiana F likes this

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, kellykeepsakes said:

I don't like them because of brand loyalty to Samsung (we have a TON of items in that brand) but for function I am use to the interface of an android.  The first turn off honestly were the apps.  Everyone I knew had to pay for many of their apps.

LOL again I don't have my phone with me.  I leave it when I am at work.  SO I will try to respond when I get home with the apps.

I had to pay for most of the apps too but the price is minimal. Some of the functions in the apps only work on iphones but I'm sure that's only temporary. They seem to upgrade all the time. I have a Samsung tablet that I love but I think I prefer the interface on the iphone for my phone. It seems a little simpler. There are pros and cons to both. 

Kiana F likes this

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Katherine Engelhardt said:

Yes, I splurged and got and iphone 7plus and I have to say, I love it. It may be just in comparison to my old phone which was really basic, but this phone does everything and it does it quickly. It takes really great pictures which are better than my camera can do in low light and indoor motion. I thought that part of the problem with my old phone was the fact that I used tracfone. My husband convinced me to get an unlocked phone and use tracfone again because of the way I use my phone and the fact that my account had a lot of unused minutes, texts, and data on it. It seems that it was the phone all along since I am having no problems with it now. I will still use Photoshop for most of my layouts but it is great to quickly build a page in the project life app that is a companion to my photoshop page. I have so many photos of my grandkids that I can't fit on a layout that it is nice to be able to include more of those photos in the grid style of project life. I also like the apps Retouch, Letterglow, This, and Supermatic for editing the photos before I place them. I have added 13 pages to the yearly album this way and I'm pretty up to date with it. It will nice to not be stressed out getting these books done in December as Christmas gifts. 

There is also a service called Ting that is a pay what you use service, similar to tracphone. No charges for overages, they just bump your charge up to the next tier. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Christine (MinorScraps) said:

There is also a service called Ting that is a pay what you use service, similar to tracphone. No charges for overages, they just bump your charge up to the next tier. 

Thanks, I'll look into it if tracfone doesn't work out. 

Share this post


Link to post

We just upgraded our iPads, and now I have a 10.5 in. Pro.  I just made a discovery that may work with phones although I have not yet tried it.  This is an Adobe "trick" so it probably will work with Android.  I was doodling a possible title for a page in the Adobe Sketch app (which is logged into my Adobe Cloud account.)  There was an option I found to send the sketch to Photoshop.  When I sat back down at my computer (Photoshop was still open) my sketch was open in Photoshop.  WAY COOL!  Sketch lets you bring in photos and you can add sketch layers on top of them.  I want to try hand-drawn frames on my photos and doodled comments.  Can't wait to play!

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2017 at 11:14 AM, suzanner said:

We just upgraded our iPads, and now I have a 10.5 in. Pro.  I just made a discovery that may work with phones although I have not yet tried it.  This is an Adobe "trick" so it probably will work with Android.  I was doodling a possible title for a page in the Adobe Sketch app (which is logged into my Adobe Cloud account.)  There was an option I found to send the sketch to Photoshop.  When I sat back down at my computer (Photoshop was still open) my sketch was open in Photoshop.  WAY COOL!  Sketch lets you bring in photos and you can add sketch layers on top of them.  I want to try hand-drawn frames on my photos and doodled comments.  Can't wait to play!

Thanks for the information. I'm going to look into this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0