Kat Hansen

July 2017 Challenge

35 posts in this topic

Here in the U.S. the summer is in full swing, and that means vacations, kids out of school, hanging out at the pool, firing up the barbeque ... and seemingly, we're busier than ever!! This month's challenge is one that I hope will provide a little bit of time-saving help so you can continue to find some creative time (and record those summer memories -- or winter, if you're in the southern hemisphere) ... it's all about templates.

When you're short on creative time, templates can be a lifesaver, but you don't have to use them 'as-is'. Why not put your own spin on them and make them your own? This month's challenge is just that: create a page using a template, but change things up to make it yours. Rotate the design, move elements around, duplicate or delete ... anything goes!  Show us a picture of the original template and the page you came up with so we can see the transition.

Here's my example of how this works.  I started with this template from Crystal Livesay:

34725230033_6bb4ee2c6d_b.jpg

... and created this page a few months back ...

34725230403_38baa8ea36_b.jpg

... and what did I do for the challenge? I duplicated the template design - yes, every single layer - and then split the design up with pieces on both the top and bottom of the page, rotating the top half of the design by 180 degrees. This is how the page came out - same template, and even pieces of the same scrapbooking kit, but a very different looking page:

34725230293_43a5d2df56_b.jpg

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Upload your layout into the Challenge Gallery and post a link to it here in this thread by July 31st. You can find directions for uploading layouts to the gallery here and how to link the layout to this post here

And now for the prizes (all prize winners chosen randomly):

• (1) $30.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  • (1) $20.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice
  • (1) $10.00 discount coupon towards a class of your choice

You can only win one prize in the challenge each month.

I hope you'll join the challenge and good luck! 

Amie Wheeler likes this

3 hours ago, Kathy Black said:

Do we also post the original template used?

Yes, Kat says we should show a picture of the original template along with our transformed page. 

13 hours ago, Kathy Black said:

Do we also post the original template used?

Yes, that would be great to see here in the chat thread. :)

6 hours ago, Amie Wheeler said:

Here's the template I used: 

34955786803_9441caf642_n.jpg

And here's my layout! I needed more photo spots- and I just couldn't resist the kitchen sink on my layout with all those fun things in Amanda's kit! ;)

large.595ebc660ed5e_SchoolBuscopy.jpg.1a

Great page Amie! What a cheerful first day of school layout. I hope it set the tone for the whole year. 

I am quite used to changing templates to suit my double page scrapbooking needs as most templates are just single pages. I was lucky enough to be a background photographer at my nephews wedding two weeks ago. Here is my first page for their gift album. I used a LorieM template, Jen Maddocks paper and elements from many kits by Kimeric, KimB designs and CreatedbyJill. I am just struggling to post the template that I used. 

large.Detaile.jpg

Amie Wheeler likes this

On 7/11/2017 at 7:05 AM, skivvy said:

I am quite used to changing templates to suit my double page scrapbooking needs as most templates are just single pages. I was lucky enough to be a background photographer at my nephews wedding two weeks ago. Here is my first page for their gift album. I used a LorieM template, Jen Maddocks paper and elements from many kits by Kimeric, KimB designs and CreatedbyJill. I am just struggling to post the template that I used. 

large.Detaile.jpg

I left you some comments in the gallery on this wonderfully masculine layout. Thanks for joining the challenge.

1 hour ago, Christine (MinorScraps) said:

I switched around background papers and added elements to my template. Another page down in the 2012 scrapbook.

Template 161.jpg

I like the way the photos cascade down the page. Smart idea to keep that part and then add your own design to the rest of the page. Well done!

My layout with "Template 21" from Lau (her website is unfortunatly no longer existing)
The original template
596dcbbf75195.jpg

My interpretation
large.DCS-07-KitImpose01.jpg

Kit "Lucky Me" from River Rose Designs
Photo Pixabay

Kat Hansen likes this

12 hours ago, Ashes said:

My layout with "Template 21" from Lau (her website is unfortunatly no longer existing)
The original template
596dcbbf75195.jpg

My interpretation
large.DCS-07-KitImpose01.jpg

Kit "Lucky Me" from River Rose Designs
Photo Pixabay

I'm glad you included the original template. You got very creative with it. Adorable layout. Thanks for joining the challenge.

Kiana F likes this

On 7/6/2017 at 6:44 PM, Amie Wheeler said:

Here's the template I used: 

34955786803_9441caf642_n.jpg

And here's my layout! I needed more photo spots- and I just couldn't resist the kitchen sink on my layout with all those fun things in Amanda's kit! ;)

large.595ebc660ed5e_SchoolBuscopy.jpg.1a

Love how you added the journal card and extra photos in this one, Amie! With summer in full swing, are you ready for back to school yet?! LOL

Kiana F and Amie Wheeler like this

On 7/7/2017 at 1:56 AM, Katherine Engelhardt said:

I used this template from June 2016's Champions

1606_champions_template4.jpg

I adjusted the size and location of the photos and the cluster so I could see more of my background photos. Here's my layout.

1705 challengegallery.jpg

I love that we can go back to older Champions classes to pull from ... and great idea to move the clusters around ... those are great photos.

Kiana F and skivvy like this

On 7/9/2017 at 1:02 PM, Kathy Black said:

This is the template I used. This was so inspiring! 

clivesay-aprilchampions-temp2.jpg

http://forum.scrapaneers.com/gallery/image/3899-my-granddaugther/?browse=1

I recognize that template designer! ;)  Love the texture you added to your page and how your took a clustered template and turned it into a more artsy page. Gotta love the versatility of digital!

Kiana F and Amie Wheeler like this