Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Courtney

Favorite Shows

30 posts in this topic

We are a streaming family. Amazon and Netflix. I'm always looking for new shows to check out. What's your favorites?

We are currently going through Parks and Rec right now. I loved watching the Great British Bake Off.  And we watched Stranger Things recently.

So, eclectic taste over here!

Kiana F likes this

Since we don't go out, our "entertainment budget" is 100% dedicated to Netflix and Amazon :D

Stranger Things was amazing- we re-watched it again in anticipation for Season 2. if you liked that, you might like the OA. Wentworth a lot like OITNB but really gritty, the characters have a lot of depth, and it is more of a thriller than chick-drama. More obscenities being used so be warned-- NSFW or kids! We also love Always Sunny in Philadephia but also comes with a huge Explicit warning.

Orphan Black just finished its Series on Cable and OMG, I am already so sad, that was gripping. The first 4 seasons have to be floating around on one of the streaming services.

For comedy- LOVE 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt. Kimmy is the best!

Can't wait to hear what the rest of the world watches.

Courtney likes this

I love Stranger Things! I want to watch the first season again before the new one comes out. I'm not typically a tv watcher, but I have been some this summer since I've been babysitting for a lot of it. The Office is one we can watch over and over. I also loved Parks and Rec.  Another I've been watching lately is Riverdale. It's all the characters from the original Archie comic strip only done in a weird dark drama way. It's pretty good. And the other I've watched this season is on HBO - The Leftovers. It's about life after 2% of the world's population just disappeared. I'm about 1/2 way through season 2 of that one. 

Courtney likes this

4 hours ago, IntenseMagic said:

The Leftovers. It's about life after 2% of the world's population just disappeared

Is that based on a book?

And follow up: Have you seen Life After People? It's a more realistic take on what would happen to the world if people were gone. Buildings, pets, etc. It's really interesting.

@faerywings i'll have to check out the OA! IWentworth sounds interesting too!

I tried OITNB, because I thought the book was interesting. But it was too much for me. Sigh, I need some safe for kids shows! LOL. I feel like most of the things I want to watch are inappropriate for my kid.

30 Rock! I totally need to go back to that! We stopped watching because, life, and I haven't seen the last few seasons. That is a funny one!

9 hours ago, IntenseMagic said:

I love Stranger Things! I want to watch the first season again before the new one comes out.

When you do, you will see so many hints in the earlier episodes of what is to come. I was so intent on getting in the larger story the first time around, I missed a lot of the more subtle details.

5 hours ago, bestcee said:

@faerywings i'll have to check out the OA! IWentworth sounds interesting too!

I tried OITNB, because I thought the book was interesting. But it was too much for me. Sigh, I need some safe for kids shows! LOL. I feel like most of the things I want to watch are inappropriate for my kid.

30 Rock! I totally need to go back to that! We stopped watching because, life, and I haven't seen the last few seasons. That is a funny one!

If you didn't like OITNB, you probably won't like Wentworth, it is like OITNB, but on heroin. Or as they call in AU, "gear." And it doesn't have the same level of humor that OITNB slips in.

Safe for Kids- that is a tough one. If you like sci-fi, we watched Dark Matter and Colony. OH!!! I don't know if it is still streaming but Firefly-- that one was awesome!!!! See if you can find it, really good!

Courtney likes this

9 hours ago, bestcee said:

Is that based on a book?

And follow up: Have you seen Life After People? It's a more realistic take on what would happen to the world if people were gone. Buildings, pets, etc. It's really interesting.

It is based on a book by Tom Perrotta and the first season follows it loosely. 

And no, I haven't seen it, but I am totally going to check it out!!

felis likes this

4 hours ago, faerywings said:

When you do, you will see so many hints in the earlier episodes of what is to come. I was so intent on getting in the larger story the first time around, I missed a lot of the more subtle details.

Cool!! I'm hoping to start watching it again this weekend!! 

faerywings likes this

3 hours ago, IntenseMagic said:

It is based on a book by Tom Perrotta and the first season follows it loosely. 

And no, I haven't seen it, but I am totally going to check it out!!

I read this book, but actually disappointed me. It would be actual for every accident in small town, I expected something more philosophical for biblical prophecy that is come true.

21 hours ago, faerywings said:

Since we don't go out, our "entertainment budget" is 100% dedicated to Netflix and Amazon :D

Stranger Things was amazing- we re-watched it again in anticipation for Season 2.

I heard few good things for Stranger Things from british friends, but for now I wait to be translated to my language. I watch on English only several shows that just couldn't miss, so most of the time I watch the best shows after they are finished. This have a good side too, because I don't wait between the seasons.

faerywings likes this

12 minutes ago, felis said:

I read this book, but actually disappointed me. It would be actual for every accident in small town, I expected something more philosophical for biblical prophecy that is come true.

Yes, I do wish they had spent a little more time on they "why" the people disappeared and maybe some of the greater impact. They touched on figuring out the why briefly and then almost like abandoned it. 

felis and Courtney like this

The best tv show I've watched past few years is Humans . Completely accurate and merciless criticism of humanity and human society, with strong female characters and handsome mens.

I'm a big fan of the The Middle, it's a sitcom, but deal with sense of humor with situations which I found so typical for the home life.

Courtney likes this

I don't know how old your kids are or if they are interested in history but we watched Turn and liked it a lot. I think that a couple of seasons are on Netflix and the last season finished on AMC, but you might be able to get them on demand.

We also started watching "Great News" On Demand- I don't know if it is on network tv at all- but Tina Fey is the producer. So far, 2 episodes in and we are laughing out loud. :)

I'm a total tvaholic so my list of shows is loooong LOL. Here's a few I've enjoyed over the summer:

• Riverdale
  • Big Little Lies
  • The Leftovers
  • The Americans
  • Homeland
  • Broadchurch

New ones I've started watching are:

• Claws
  • American Gods
  • The Mist
  • Salvation
  • The Sinner

I've pvr'd these and need to watch soon:

• Somewhere Between
  • Daytime Divas
  • Midnight, Texas
  • Snowfall
  • Queen of the South
Kiana F, Courtney and felis like this

Hey, Rae- is Midnight, Texas based on the Charlaine Harris novels? As soon as OITNB is done, we are going to start on The Americans.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:34 AM, faerywings said:

Firefly-

I loved Firefly! We own it, and the Serenity movie. That would be a great one to rewatch! Thanks for the idea.

faerywings likes this

On 8/18/2017 at 11:27 AM, IntenseMagic said:

on they "why" the people disappeared and maybe some of the greater impact.

I actually like that they left it open. It felt less political driven that way. If that makes sense?

1 minute ago, bestcee said:

I actually like that they left it open. It felt less political driven that way. If that makes sense?

Ignore me. I missed that you were referring to the Leftovers, and not Life after people. :)

OK...so mine are really old...I LOVE

FRIENDS

Murder She Wrote

Magnum PI

Gilmore Girls

I watch them all the time in reruns, though Murder She Wrote went off Netflix and I was very upset...but I have a number of Season DVD's that I watch. 

Kiana F likes this

7 hours ago, faerywings said:

Jennifer B- There are some shows that are classics for a reason :) I still will watch MASH reruns and The Golden Girls.

The Golden Girls...I have started watching them again. Love that show as well. 

faerywings likes this

46 minutes ago, faerywings said:

I hope I can be as cool and as fun as they were when I am a "Golden Girl." :)

I know, there is a restaurant in NYC that opened this year that has lots of golden girl memorabilia. I've been meaning to check it out but just haven't gotten there yet.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0